Full or partial stool retention is always an alarming sign, which can lead to rupture of the intestine, intoxication, serious damage to the internal organs and even death of the pet! Of course, not all cases are so scary. But the owner must necessarily know, because of what there was a constipation in the dog, what to do in such a situation and how to avoid problems with defecation in the future.
To notice problems in time, notice how often your pet goes to the toilet. Puppies empty the intestine up to five times a day, because they have a faster metabolism. Aging pets rarely croak, tk. the metabolism is slowed down – every 2-3 days. Adult dogs are emptied once a day, giant breeds – once in two days. The chair should resemble a sausage, smooth and shiny, of a single consistency and evenly colored.
Causes and consequences
1. To stool the masses moving along the intestine, a sufficient peristalsis is necessary (wave-like contractions pushing the contents). The intestine can “stand up” for various reasons – internal diseases and neurological disorders, infections, obesity or malnutrition, low activity, diabetes. In such cases, the signs of constipation in dogs are expressed by constipation – the pet is often and for a long time pushing, but the volume at the output is clearly less than usual, the feces go round or flakes, the pet whines.
Anesthesia almost always leads to a decrease in peristalsis due to the relaxing effect of the drug on the muscles. To avoid problems, veterinarians recommend a post-operative diet (light meals in small portions in the form of mucous porridges, soups) and mild laxatives. It is important to comply with all prescriptions, since constipation after surgery can cause divergence of sutures, hernia, severe pain. Difficulties with defecation are possible because of the formation of adhesions in operations on the abdominal cavity.
2. For a normal defecation, a sufficient volume and a certain humidity of the stool are needed. If the stool is too much, they simply can not pass through the intestines and will accumulate inside. The same happens if the stool is very dry. For example, the constipation in the dog after the bones occurs just for these reasons – dry bones literally clog the intestine.
To avoid problems, the pet should be properly fed and monitor the amount of fluid consumed. Low-fat dogs are recommended a semi-liquid menu. Dry food, contrary to the general opinion, does not provoke constipation in dogs, tk. in a healthy stomach, the granules quickly turn into porridge. But with digestive tract diseases, dry food can cause constipation.
3. With obstruction (from the “barrier”), the constipation in the dog symptoms are quite severe – weakness, painful and hard abdomen, thirst and poor appetite. The darling is pushing hard, but there is no chair. Sometimes vomiting develops, pale mucous. If the condition lasts longer than 3 days – intoxication increases (the feces poison the body).
The cause of obstruction can be fecal masses (prolonged constipation leads to draining of the contents and formation of stones), foreign body (toy, bone), curvature of the intestinal loop, swelling, a large number of worms. In such a situation, treatment of constipation with improvised means threatens the life of a pet! Enemas, laxatives and other drugs intensify peristalsis and increase the volume of mass, but the lumen of the intestine is closed – the feces press on the walls of the intestine, which leads to damage to the mucous membranes and, eventually, to rupture.
Thinking about how to help a dog with constipation, the owners often rely on laxatives from the human first aid kit. As mentioned above, in some cases this can seriously aggravate the problem, so any tablets and potions – only after a visit to the vet.
If there is no possibility to consult a doctor right away, you can try to solve the problem yourself:
- We exclude from the menu muscular meat, meat broths, rice and corn, cheese, eggs, yesterday’s sour milk. We feed in small portions, the food is warm and semi-liquid (well-boiled buckwheat on milk or water, stewed vegetable stew from cabbage, carrots and zucchini). You can have a little boiled sea fish, preferably white. We treat the dog with fresh yogurt or yogurt (without additives, dyes), raw beets. If there is no allergy, you can give a couple of drains. You can temporarily switch to canned food for puppies or chronically ill dogs (digestible diet).
- From what you can give a dog from constipation, without fear of complications, you should choose one thing (either / or, not to shove everything). Helps curdled milk, cabbage juice (can provoke flatulence), loose broth of buckthorn, infusion on pumpkin seeds (a spoonful of sunflower seeds and half a cup of boiling water, 30 minutes in heat). You can grind flaxseed and mix with vegetable oil or buy flaxseed oil. Large dogs on a tablespoon 2p / day, small – on the tea. But for a whiskey instead of breakfast.
- In many cases, the vaseline enema helps the dog. With constipation, a little warm oil is injected into the rectum slowly, effortlessly. If the oil does not go, you can not continue (there may be obstruction, and in this case any pressure is dangerous). For hygiene reasons, the pet should be placed in the bathroom or in the basin. Voluminous volumes (a glass for a very large dog, half a cup for a pet weighing 20 kg, a pair of spoons for a miniature toy). Having no experience, it is highly recommended to entrust this procedure to a specialist.
- Before treating constipation with an enema, try giving the paraffin oil inside. Also warm (not lower than room temperature) and small portions, from a syringe without a needle on the cheek of the pet. Miniature dogs – a teaspoon, medium – a dining room, large – two tablespoons at a time. Twice a day or until the effect is achieved. Vaseline oil is not absorbed, not digested, so with a slight excess of dosage nothing will happen – the excess will come naturally. Remove the carpet, lay the furniture – the oil will drip from the priests and spoil everything around.
- Walk often with a dog 3-5 times a day. Pedestrian ration is the best treatment for constipation if the condition is not complicated by a chronic illness. Walking awakens the intestines, forcing it to work.
In this mode, you need to hold out for two days. If the effect is not present – necessarily address to the doctor. If the dog has other (any!) Symptoms of malaise, show the pet to the vet immediately. Remember that constipation can be a sign of a serious illness, curvature or obstruction, and in these cases procrastination can lead to the most sad outcome. Whenever possible, do not delay visiting the vet.