Mites are blood-sucking parasites that show the greatest activity in the spring – the breeding season and in the warmer months of the year. Parasites can wait for their “sacrifice” on the ground, in high grass, fall from trees, “travel” on clothes and shoes, so owners of quadrupeds must know how to pull a mite from a dog. At least once, you will definitely encounter a parasite facing the proboscis, so the material will be useful to everyone, given that “standard” mites parasitize humans and all mammals, and the technique described below is universal.
Features of physiology of mites
In the world there are 48 thousand species of mites, more than 850 thousand of them parasitize on domestic animals, but they all have the same structure and the principle of parasitism. There is only one fundamental difference – the structure of the shell is hard or soft. The “usual” so-called encephalitis mite has a solid scaly shell of dirty gray or black color – see the photo.
The parasite passes through 4 stages of maturation:
- The egg does not parasitize.
- The larva – parasitizes on small rodents, birds.
- Nymph is an eye-parasite that looks like an adult, but has 3 pairs of paws. It parasitizes on rodents, birds, small animals.
- Adult individual – has 4 pairs of limbs, a distinct head. In autumn, the female lays eggs or falls into hibernation if it does not manage to mate, the males die.
When fastened, the parasite digs into the skin with all the paws and the proboscis (mouth) literally, growing together with the skin. Visually, the parasite looks like a convex birthmark of black or brown color.
The proboscis and paws of the mite are equipped with microscopic spines-hooks, which allow the parasite to remain on the skin, even when the dog itches. It is important to remove the parasite correctly, if the mite is not pulled out completely, the proboscis or paws remain in the skin, then the risk of infection and suppuration of the wound is added to the discomfort.
How to remove the mite safely
Elimination of the mite, the case is scrupulous and requires a special approach. If you first encounter blood-sucking parasites, it is not recommended to remove the mite from the dog yourself – contact a veterinarian who will show the algorithm of actions and teach the nuances. Are you too far from the vet clinic, and are you full of determination? – Act!
Take into account, if the dog does not allow to pull out the mite or to examine a wound – it hurts. Use local anesthesia – a shot of novocaine or lidocaine-spray. To remove a mite from a dog at home, you will need:
- Good lighting – the dog is placed under the lamp and calmed down.
- Sharp scissors or oil, if the dog is long-haired – cut out all the hair that hinders the survey or smoothed by oiling.
- Mites breathe through the body, so to apply the first “impact” will need a liquid that creates an airtight film:
- Specialized veterinary ointment, for the elimination of mites.
- Nail polish – carefully coat the entire body of the mite in several layers.
- Oil – use a syringe without a needle to place the parasite in a shell (a large drop) of oil. If possible, mark the flare in a wide ring and fill the impromptu container with oil.
- Fat cream.
- Gasoline – be careful, the dog should not sniff or lick the fuel!
- Paraffin – be careful, do not burn the pet!
- Leave the treated mite for 20-30 minutes and observe. If the parasite has not yet poured blood, it will fall off itself. A brown, swollen mite will weaken the grip, get their paws and proboscis skin.
- If the “bloodsucker” did not retreat on his own, apply a layer of oil with a syringe and wait another 15-20 minutes. The dog should calm down, at this stage of pain no longer exists, but the wound is still itching. Did not fall off? So, only with oil you can not cope – we take tweezers and a magnifying glass.
- Carefully inspect the “stubborn” – all paws should be raised, the head is distinguishable. If you do not see one of the limbs – poddevay her tweezers and get it.
- Carefully, grab the body of the mite and gently rotate it one way and the other – as if loosening the milk tooth. Note that you twist the same proboscis, it can hurt the pet. Alternatively, you can use a thread – we make a noose loop or simply wrap the proboscis by crossing the ends of the thread. Gently pull from side to side. When using tweezers, there is a risk of distributing the parasite, thread, you can cut the proboscis and it will remain in the body.
Do not throw away the “trophy”, but hand it to the laboratory – if the mite was a carrier of the disease, you will find out about it before the appearance of the first symptoms, which will significantly increase the effectiveness of treatment.
What can’t you do
- Do not touch the mite without gloves, the parasite can be a carrier of dangerous for human viruses.
- Do not twitch or pull the parasite without preparation – the paws and the head of the mite quite easily come off.
- Do not squeeze and especially do not crush the mite – the secrets contained inside the insect will fall into the open wound, as a consequence – inflammation.