The dog should behave well at home and on walks, treat people adequately and calmly react to other animals, not showing aggression for no reason. We will consider how to wean a dog to bark at other dogs. We give recommendations and tips dog handlers who will help in solving this problem.
Causes of barking dogs on the street
How does your dog treat other animals? Perhaps the pet happily runs up and sniffs other dogs, wanting to meet, or vice versa, bark at everyone who walks on four legs? If you constantly keep the dog on a leash and try to notice other animals before, such walks are not a joy. Dogs should be able to walk without a leash, of course, under your strict control.
If a dog has no reason to bark at other animals or people, this can lead to serious consequences. Hysterically barking dog is difficult to control. To avoid problems, find out the reasons for this behavior in a puppy or adult dog.
Important! Barking is not a manifestation of aggression towards dogs, animals, man. This is the dog’s language, characteristic of all breeds and ages, a communicative means by which a dog expresses his emotions, mood, communicates with the owner and his relatives.
Causes of dog barking:
- fear, aggression, fear, irritation;
- attract attention, lack of communication, separation;
- strong emotional arousal;
- hazard warning;
- call for games;
- wrong socialization, errors of education.
Dogs are barking, protecting their territory, warning other animals about a possible conflict by ringing intermittent, energetic barking.
Barking is a warning signal and a sign to other animals if the dog feels in danger.
- An inadequate reaction to other dogs, accompanied by barking, often signals that the dog is fearful, frightened or feels aggression. Barking is accompanied by gestures of humility. The dog licks his lips, pulls his neck forward, hides behind the owner.
- Bark – a means to attract attention, if the dog is bored or calls for the game. It is known that our smaller brothers are not only inquisitive, but also build their relationships, determine their social position through the game. If the pet wants to play with another dog, the barking will be short, intermittent. The dog wags its tail energetically, falls on its front paws, lifting the croup, or brings sticks and toys to its congener.
- There is a category of dogs that do not get along with their kin and assert themselves through loud menacing barking, which is accompanied by a growl. If the dog bares his teeth, wags its tail, takes awesome poses, be prepared for the fact that he can pounce on the dog. Therefore, carefully monitor his behavior and take on a leash.
- Often, dogs bark at other animals behind the fence. The dog is not so much guarding its territory, but experiencing irritation, insecurity and even fear. Barrier, the inability to overcome obstacles provokes a surge of adrenaline. The pet is over-excited, barking hysterically. Aggression is aimed at everything that is outside the fence.
Causes of puppy barking
It is not excluded that your dog barks at his relatives, if at a puppy age he was frightened or bitten by another dog. A puppy that has been traumatized can have a strong fear of other animals and dogs all its life.
Important! Improper socialization and upbringing also lead to causeless barking. Perhaps the dog spent little time in the company of his relatives and he has poorly developed communication and social communication skills.
To provoke such a behavior can constant walking on a leash. The dog is deprived of normal communication with kinsmen, emotional discharge and barking attracts their attention.
If your dog barks only on unfamiliar dogs or on certain breeds, it is possible that the dog has antipathy, which can be caused by various factors. Animals could not divide the territory, toys. Perhaps there was a conflict between the dogs earlier, and the dog remembered his offender. The dog may have his relatives around because of pamperedness. The owner simply did not attach importance to the fact that his dog barked at other dogs and did not wean it immediately from the bad habit.
Teach your puppy to respond adequately to dogs
Each dog is unique. Even within the same breed there are no dogs of equal temperament and character. Some dogs are calmer and phlegmatic, others have a moving psyche and more emotionally react to various stimuli.
To raise an adequate obedient dog, the proper socialization of the pet in society and systematic training are very important. Elementary teams can be trained at the age of 3-3.5 months, and correct manners should be inculcated immediately after the end of the adaptation period.
Important! All dogs, regardless of breed and age, are amenable to training and training. There are no dogs that can not instill the correct behavior. But adult dog training will take more time and should be systematic. You need perseverance and patience.
If the puppy on its first walks inadequately reacts to dogs, people, other animals, stop such behavior in a strict tone. Do not allow harmful manners to become a habit. A dog from an early age should understand what is allowed and what is not.
Walk with a small pet not far from the places of general walking of dogs. Dog should gradually get used to communicating with their relatives. So that the baby is not afraid, it is best that he played and frolicked in the company of his closest in age dogs. But do not protect him from contact with adults. Watch that during the games the dog is not overly excited, is not injured and immediately stop bad behavior or aggression.
If the puppy barks at its congeners, calm it down, divert its attention with a toy or interest it with something else. If the baby persists, continuing to bark, pull up the leash, lightly slap the grits and in a strict tone give the command “No”. As soon as the dog calms down, praise.
Do not allow perepavkivatsya with their relatives in their territory or for a walk. If the baby is scared, call the dog and calm down.
What you should not do: the basic errors and tips of dog handlers
To keep your pet educated and obedient, properly organize the educational process. Pay attention to the socialization of the pet. After the end of quarantine, do not walk with a puppy without a leash in places of general walking. The dog should get used to the street, new smells and sounds.
- Never play off dogs, even as a joke. Feeling their advantage, the pet will overwhelm its relatives, which can end in disastrous if the dog does not calculate the forces.
- Never hit, shout, or use physical violence against a dog using a leash or other improvised means. Rude treatment will give the opposite reaction, develop malice, provoke aggression. If the dog is wrong, slap him lightly with a newspaper, a rolled-up tube, a thin rod, but not a hand. Impact should be minimal.
- If the puppy is shy, do not concentrate its attention on other dogs. Teach to communicate with congeners gradually. The company should be calm and friendly dogs. Keep representatives of small breeds near walking places on your hands.
- Some owners make the mistake of starting to walk a small puppy along with older dogs. Males often attack puppies and young males. Fighting is started between dogs.
- Do not encourage puppy to bite on other animals. Dog grow up and wean him from this habit will not be easy. A similar mistake is made by breeders of decorative breeds, allowing pets to cheat large and adult dogs. An annoying hysterical, unreasonable barking will cause discontent and aggression even in a balanced dog, and your pet may suffer.
- Do not encourage too emotional games that cause heightened arousal. If during the game the dog begins to bark, calm him down and take him on a leash.