The birth of kittens, the same special process as the birth of a child. The hosts of the future mother are worried and afraid to miss the first signs of the onset of labor in the cat. If the mating was planned, then the situation is simpler – the expected range is reduced to 24-72 hours, guessing the “date X” for a newly conceived cat addition. In any case, guarding the mother-mum needs to know about the precursors of childbirth and the activities to be experienced.
Stages and Terms
In a healthy animal, the process of pregnancy and childbirth takes place without the need for intervention and assistance. In pedigree, small, problematic cats, labor can take place with complications. In more developed countries, there is a special profession – a zoo, a specialist responsible for the favorable course of labor, preserving the life and health of the mother and offspring. In “our realities” all responsibility rests on the shoulders of the owners and general veterinarians.
On average, a normal cat’s pregnancy lasts 60-65 days, but the term can be virated for 7-10 days depending on the breed and the constitution of the future mother’s body. Conditionally pregnancy is divided into 3 stages:
Mating-3 weeks: after mating, the cat has swelling of the mucous membranes of the genital tract, but this is not a guarantee of pregnancy. Distinct signs are observed from the third week:
- Drowsiness, decreased appetite and activity.
- The requirement of affection and attention.
- Vomiting (not more than 3 times a day, not longer than 2-3 days).
- Distinct pigmentation of the mammary glands – from light to bright pink.
- Enlargement of the uterus, which can be detected by a veterinarian during palpation.
- Rapid growth of “children” and “rounding” of a cat. By the 6th week, the amount of fluid in the uterus increases, and the kittens begin to make their first movements.
- Kittens are “felt” with careful probing.
- The cat is more eating and sleeping, otherwise behaves as usual.
- Kittens are actively moving. Movements are clearly visible to the naked eye, especially if the cat is asleep.
- Swelling of mammary glands, allocation of colostrum.
- Some cats have whitish discharge from the vagina – a normal phenomenon.
- Increased anxiety and arrangement of the “den”.
Important! Observe the cats, create all the conditions for delivery, so that the cat does not experience and is not stressed.
Preparation of labor
In the normal course of pregnancy and the absence of health problems, by the 50th day of the term the following set should be prepared in the house:
- Sturdy box with a low bead. The cat should freely enter and exit the “nest”, not clinging to the belly over the side.
- Several pairs of sterile, latex surgical gloves.
- Pipettes are medical or suction, for forced cleaning of the respiratory tract, if the kitten does not cough independently.
- Sterile thread.
- Surgical or antiseptic-treated scissors.
- Liquid and powdery antiseptics, bought in a veterinary pharmacy. Human drugs can be toxic.
- Cotton swabs for lubricating the umbilical cord.
- Clean cloth. A few small terry towels for grinding kittens.
- A clean bowl for water.
- Dry infant formula from 0 months is a substitute for cat milk.
- Pre-agreed conditions for the departure of the veterinarian and telephone number for remote consultation.
- A drug for stimulating contractions and labor.
- The drug for stimulation of cardiac activity.
Accept to the information! For clean cats, be sure to prepare: dry and wet napkins, moisture absorbing diapers.
Signs of an approaching birth in a cat:
- 24-72 hours before the onset of labor, body temperature drops to 37 ° C.
- For 24-48 hours the cat actively licks the genitals, the mucous ones turn red or pink.
- Not always – the mammary glands are poured heavily, the skin becomes hotter in the nipple region.
- A cat can become inactive.
- 4-8 hours before the bouts of the cat “hunch” – this is due to “training” contractions of the uterus. During this period, the pet is very worried, can “call for help” or hide.
- Sharp decrease in appetite. Water or milk is used in the usual amount.
Harbinger of birth
Forerunners consider the changes in the livelihood of the animal, within 24 hours before childbirth. Cat’s cat is arranged in the form of the letter “Y” – “horns”, this is the place of kittens, “tail” – cervix. The main changes occur in it, accompanied by discomfort or pain. Miscarriage and spontaneous labor are accompanied by the same symptoms, with one difference. Signs of premature birth in a cat, often occur 1-2 times faster.
Once you notice the anxiety of the cat, pay attention to the following aspects:
- Most often, before the fights begin, a mucous plug comes out of the cervix – a small clot of transparent, yellowish, greenish color, small brown patches are considered the norm. You need to understand that the rejection of the cork can not be noticed. She can go out during urination or tear off in parts – the cat licked, secretions are imperceptible.
- During pregnancy, the kittens lie on the principle of “compactness”, and for a correct birth they need to turn their heads down. Large “children” may not have time to do it, but during the process there is an active stirring of the fruit – the kittens turn and push, delivering a lot of inconvenience to my mother.
- The first bouts are barely noticeable, but they are probed to put a palm on the cat’s stomach – the opening of the cervix begins, the process can be delayed up to 8 hours.
- Readiness №1! Signs of an early birth in a cat – strong contractions, are noticeable without probing, the cat lies on its side or crouches and arches its back – in the period from 5 to 60 minutes the first “child” will appear.
Stages, possible problems
After the full opening of the cervix, the process of “expelling” the kittens begins. Without prejudice and arrogance, remember – the cat hurts, in the battles, it lost a lot of strength, the animal is very worried. It is important to observe the following rules:
- Soothe and support the animal, no matter what happens.
- Keep yourself in hand, even if it’s the first birth and you do not really understand what’s going on. The cat feels your panic and confusion well.
- Do not fuss, do not allow strangers, children, other animals to enter the premises.
- Ensure fresh air enters the room, but not draft.
- Offer the cat warm water or milk, 90% of cats are thirsty during labor.
- If you worry that you can not cope, enlist the support of another person. But (!) Directly next to the cat should be someone alone. “Assistant” will help in case of complications.
- Do not be scared when a cat eats a “last” kitten – this is a physiologically correct process of restoring strength.
Exile is less painful than cramping. Outwardly, the cat can be much calmer, watch and do not interfere without special need.
If you understand that the problem is brewing – act:
- Four strong attempts, and the head of the kitten did not appear – we lubricate the rounded end of the pipette with a left-handed needle and gently insert it into the vagina. Expand, see whether the fruit is seen, stroke the cat’s stomach in the direction of exile, slightly pushing the kittens.
- The kitten was born in a bubble, and the cat does not pay attention to it – gently open the bladder, remove the mucus from the mouth and nose. All procedures are carried out in front of the cat, so that she can reach the kitten and begin to lick it.
- The kitten did not begin to breathe – actively rub it with a towel around the back and chest.
- Rubbing for 3-4 minutes did not give results – we take the kitten for its hind legs and gently shake it upside down, tap the chest. In every way we help to release the airways. If within 25-30 minutes intensive resuscitation aid did not give results, unfortunately the kitten is dead.
Important! No matter how sorry the “kitten”, if you take delivery yourself, carry out resuscitation, and the next baby has already appeared – you should wrap the awakened baby in a towel and put it under the lamp. We return to the intensive care unit after being convinced of the normal breathing of the born.
Critical course of labor
Without fail, call a veterinarian if:
- Births are delayed more than 10 days.
- The kitten is in the birth canal for more than 30 minutes.
- More than 5 strong attempts without kitten’s exit in the birth canal.
- 10 minutes of intense labor with extrusion of the amniotic fluid in the birth canal.
- Abundant discharge of scarlet or dark brown color, “putrid” odor of discharge.